Old Wives Tales Used for Baby Gender Prediction
Nowadays so many pregnant women find out if they are having a boy or a girl through an ultrasound, usually around 20 weeks. While there are still people who choose to keep it a surprise, I am not one of them. I like to know! And we’ll (hopefully!) be finding out in a couple weeks. Still, it’s fun to try and guess whether you plan on finding out at the birth or beforehand. In fact, it seems women have been guessing for years and coming up with all sorts of methods to predict what mama is carrying in her womb. (Also, I know the proper terminology is predicting baby’s sex rather than gender, but gender prediction is the commonly used term.)
So, I went looking for a list of old wives tales and found a great listing over at Parents.com. There are several I didn’t try to do or I felt didn’t apply very well, so I’m sharing the results I did get and lets see if we can guess what Baby #2 is!
Old Wives Tales to Predict Baby’s Gender
I will share the basic “test” and my result. I guess whichever gets more votes wins?
- Sleep position – I prefer sleeping on my right = Girl
- I’ve hardly had any morning sickness = Boy (I had some with Rissa but not bad)
- Food Cravings – I’m not exactly craving fruit but I am wanting/choosing it more so I guess that means Girl
- Sugar & spice cravings – Cravings for salty food is boy and sweets is girl…. umm I like both a lot.
- Acne – I had a small breakout = Girl
- Graceful or Clumsy – I’m a little more clumsy than usual but was also last time! = Boy
- Mood swings (who doesn’t have those while preggo?!) = Girl
- High or low belly – I have a high belly already (again!) = Girl
- Baby weight – I’m expanding all around my middle (though I’m not technically gaining much for weight) = Girl
- Model Your Hands – I show palms up = Girl
- Even and Odd Numbers based on my age and year of conception – I have mixed numbers (did last time too) = Boy
- Baby’s Heartbeat – If it’s more than 150 times per minute, it’s a girl; less than 150, it’s a boy. (I haven’t been given a heart rate yet!)
- Stress Test – Baby will likely be the same sex as the parent who is less stressed at conception = Girl (Totally wrong last time though! I was crazy stressed at work)
- Dream Meanings – You’ll have the opposite of what you dream about while preggo = Boy (I’ve only had one dream so far about having a girl, but last time I had several dreams about having a little girl!)
Total: Girl – 7; Boy – 4… hmm….
Next week I’ll share some more gender prediction tests as well as the results of prediction tests done by some fellow bloggers!
Did you pay attention to any of the old wives tales? Were they right?
Image credit: AJC1 @ FlickrTags: Biological Sex, gender prediction, old wives tales