Have you ever heard of a Leprechaun Trap? I am sharing some fun and easy leprechaun trap ideas for you to make with your kids.
I love how this activity encourages children to get creative and use their imagination.
Making a leprechaun trap door craft is such a fun way to help them get excited about the folklore surrounding St. Patrick's Day.
You can make this project the night before, and set it up for the leprechaun to steal the gold. When your kids wake up, they'll find their trap opened and the gold missing. What a fun way to celebrate!
This post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
DIY Leprechaun Trap Ideas
I don't remember making leprechaun traps as a kid, do you? The first time I heard about this my daughter was in preschool.
Her class read The Night Before St. Patrick's Day and made a class trap. She told me about it after school and asked to make one at home too. I just love the idea of making a colorful trap door craft as a fun tradition with the kids.
There are so many fun ideas, and this list includes my favorite easy cardboard box options as well as super fun LEGO ideas!
Get your kids excited about this craft activity by reading How to Catch a Leprechaun. Then get started with a basic design idea and craft supplies.
There are several ideas below with different products to build with and a short supply list below that is great for having on hand to get your kids started. Use these designs for inspiration!
Great supplies for Building Leprechaun Traps:
- Green tissue paper, construction paper, or wrapping paper
- Rainbow stickers or colored papers to create a rainbow
- Cotton balls for clouds
- Gold coins or gold paint for the pot of gold
- Small black “kettle” or bowl to create a pot of gold
Ideas for Leprechaun Traps
- Building their own trap is a great St. Patrick's Day engineering activity. See how Kids STEAM Lab sets it up as a creative maker space invitation.
- See how to make a trap using LEGO bricks from Brain Power Boy.
- Get inspired to make one using a shoe box like this one from A Life In Balance.
- DIY Inspired shows you how to set up a classic box and stick trap.
- This house has a mischievous leprechaun making messes to help encourage the kids to build a trap to try and catch it. Leprechaun Mischief and Traps from Raising Life Long Learners
- This popsicle stick trap from Mamma of Many Blessings is great for kids of all ages.
- Kids will love decorating these wooden treasure box traps from B-Inspired Mom.
- This project from Mom To 2 Posh Divas is a creative way to use a cardboard box and paper plate to create a trap.
More St. Patrick's Day Ideas:
- Coffee Filter Leprechaun
- Coffee Filter Rainbow
- Leprechaun Slime Activity
- 15 St. Patrick's Day Recipes
- Shamrock Shaker Kids Craft
- 10 Saint Patrick's Day Games and Activities
- 10+ Leprechaun Crafts
- Irish Soda Bread Math Lesson
- 15 Rainbow Themed Recipes for Kids
Get weekly sanity saving parenting tips, recipes, and kids activities.